Everybody deserves a pair of wings

After months of planning everything to the finest detail, on May 6th, 01:00pm, the race starts. 
Not only in the city I live in but in thirty-seven other cities at exactly the same time. The time zones make for the different atmosphere in all of them.
The moon over their heads, freezing cold temperatures, the sun so bright they get sunburnt or the rain that doesn’t let them open their eyes - they are still standing on the start and smiling because of the pride they feel. 

Knowing that they are helping someone in need wakes up that warm feeling around their hearts. 
“Wings for Life is an international not-for-profit spinal cord research foundation.” 
Until my participation for the first time three years ago, as a 15-year-old I didn’t even know what the spinal cord was. This race raised my awareness of how many people actually suffer from diseases affecting it. I couldn’t help but notice the feeling of empathy I felt for them. My will for helping them just keeps growing as the date of the race is getting closer. 

Six continents, 440 thousand people from 193 different nationalities, all running for one goal. 
Reading those numbers is incomparable with the moment you see a 70-year-old waving at you, a child that probably doesn’t even realize why he is running or a disabled woman with a smile from ear to ear. 
The moment you feel proud of humanity. When you realize that the world isn’t as cruel as it presents itself. 

Do you know that feeling when you go on a concert of a performer you’ve barely heard of and you end up being overwhelmed by his performance even though you don’t know the words of the songs he is playing? 
Standing in a crowd of people who are there for one reason only, I feel like I’m standing in the middle of an Arena, waiting for a concert. I don’t know who I’m helping, I don’t know their stories, I don’t know the songs but I enjoy the melody. 

I enjoy the melody of the voices I hear standing by the start. But the feeling of a crowd of 8 thousand people passing by me and the wind from their run flowing through my hair. That. 
That is the feeling I fell in love with, and which motivates me to come back and be a part of the organization one more time. 

Having the ability to fly is considered unbelievable to every single one of us. Having the ability to jump, makes you want to jump higher. But because having the ability to walk and run is taken for granted, we often forget that to people who can’t it seems like flying to those who can. You are now given a chance to provide a person who can’t walk - a pair of wings. 

They might be able to fly. 

Who knows? 
With love, MO. 


Primjedbe

Popularni postovi s ovog bloga

Now is good

Reading minds

Clouds ☁️